Monday, April 9, 2012

Op-Ed The PS 460 Capstone: The International student view

The PS 460 Capstone: The International student view
Growing up in Uganda, I have always been taught to respect my elders and not reply back at them when they say something to me. And here I am in America, the free world where I am taught the direct opposite of my cultural norms, to question every single statement. Yes, at times it feels like I am at crossroads, to endure with what I have been taught as a child or to embrace my new found liberties and make good use of them. And of course the answer lies in taking the bull by the horns and from a saying that goes, ‘when in Rome, do as the Romans do.’ And here I am in America, and definitely, I am going to do as the Americans do. I am going to make good use of my Western acquired education; I am going to ask questions, defend my view points and at the same time remain respectful while putting my view point across. Suddenly, I am shocked by my courage to speak out, to voice my opinions and asset myself, and because where I come from, in Uganda, women do not even speak unless spoken to. The nature of the ability to express myself freely is overwhelming and at the same time empowering. I now understand what the framers of the women emancipation felt when that came through. It is that untold, unseen gratitude and self empowerment that comes from being able to speak openly, precisely, articulately and yet respectful putting your point across to whoever is listening. It is that sort of communication that dons and majestically clothes the disciplines of Political Science and not forgetting International Relations. It is what I believe that makes for the closed door politics, when the leaders of the free world assemble to decide the fate of the rest of us, they sure put to use the ability to flawlessly make allies, and pull strings. It is not because they are always right or they know better, but because they have the ability to ‘sweet talk’ and of course make ‘political threats.’ It is the salt missing in the sauce of the African Politics. It is what our leaders in the ‘Other World,’ as the developing nations are dubbed in a more politically correct way lack. They love to fight, argue and spend time profiting from the national cake that they selfishly want to keep on eating with their close friends and family. And then we ask when the nepotism will ever end; simple, the day we learn to speak out, and train our people to stand for the truth, to be open minded yet engaged in the affairs of their nation. It is what the PS 460 capstone is has opened my eyes to. To the fact that scholars like Andrew Bacevich are dubbed realists of the canning world is not a fairytale. It is reality that some of us come to embrace and ensure that we make up our minds about our stand point on political issues and be ready to speak up and defend the core of our political beliefs without bias and threats from others on the opposite side. Bacevich in his book, Washington Rules: America’s path to permanent war refuses to view causes for the war in Iraq or the Global War on terror as a “Democrat-OR-Republican binary issue.” Instead states that any view of current American Policy needs to be viewed through a historical lens that stretches through many past presidential administrations. And of course many people may not agree with Mr. Bacevich, but he still speaks out and makes his point stand. It is therefore, such charisma that is needed to be passed on to all of us that are seeking political careers and even those just wanting to retire into the exotic resorts south in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment