Tuesday, February 1, 2011

College Today, cont'd.

I tried to comment on Dani D's comment on this post, but it wouldn't let me comment--only edit the post. So I'm posting to comment on the issue she and Trevor raised about the role and import of extra-curriculars in college today. Since our youngest daughter is a high school senior and her school was cancelled today and now for tomorrow as well due to weather, she is "lost." Now, this is odd to me. She used to use spare time to read (voraciously) for pleasure. But as a dual-enrolled HS senior taking classes at UNI as well as rehearsing for the Spring play, and working parttime at Porter's Camera, her days go from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm and sometimes later. She has apparently become addicted to this crazy every-minute-accounted-for schedule, so that she no longer seeks the free time out that allows her to read (or even to write). This is scary to me. If she's accepted to one of the top schools she hopes to attend in the fall, I'm fearful she'll be like many of the students I get in IS101 in their first term of college: they're so used to having their days filled up with scheduled activities, they don't know what to do with their "free time." They certainly, in most cases anyway, don't use it to study, at least judging from their performance on class-based appraisals. And apparently a good deal of time is spent socializing in one form or another -- whether it be XBoxing to binge-ing, the inability to handle the transition is too often the sad story of those who are among the 45% who allegedly make slight progress in academically-related skills during the first two years of college.

Now, this situation is a bit different than the one Trevor and Dani are describing. They're talking about students, I think, whose days are patterned like theirs: booked from morning to night with classes, student senate, work-study, play or choir practice, performances, etc. with precious little time left that might be called "free." I know their pattern is not uncommon for many students at Wartburg. Just try to schedule a meeting for a May Term group or a honor society with a dozen students during the term. Faculty are the same way: no time works for everyone. In our visits to college campuses starting last year with our daughter, we discovered that the very best schools had class schedules that required less in-class seat time than Wartburg by far. In fact, two of the highest ranked schools had first years taking only three classes per term rather than four. The time in class was far less per course than here; the limits on students per class were at 14 or fewer and the reading and writing requirments were higher as well. The idea was that class time would NOT be used to repeat what was in the texts, a wise policy in my view, and students would be expected to assume a lion's share of the time ensuring their own learning agendas were addressed in the class discussions. There was clearly an "ethos" in the air that said "this is how we do it here" and we're proud of it.
One of those schools, Sarah Lawrence College, by the way, does not give grades for classes. Rather they use the written assessments that the old Chrysalis program at Wartburg did. And yet the workload and the ethos were so proudly anchored in a sense of challenge and rigor, grades were seen as superfluous if not insulting.

What I want to suggest is that maybe Wartburg's ethos is a bit out of whack. I am not against extra-curriculars. I went to college to play basketball, not to study political science. But I am amazed at how little "free time" our students (and often faculty) actually have. And I'm curious: Are we somehow afraid that, if left to their devices, the faction that can't make the shift to college because they have too much free time on their hands is watching opportunties slip by because they are not ready to be free any meaningful sense. If they were, they'd be availing themselves of the reading they're not doing or the study groups they're not forming. But they think to be free is to party and play XBOX--or so it seems. Likewise, for some, like our daughter who has been conditioned to have every moment of every day filled with somekind of obligation or scheduled activity, how are you supposed to learn to be free? If there is a part of all the busy-ness that is aimed at perpetuating habits in school, it's no wonder our first two years are having so many adjustment issues. Young people aren't apparently used to being free in any meaningful sense and so some react by overdoing it with scheduled activities that are indivdidually valuable, but added together, take a toll on academic progress; others who haven't know real freedom try Eric Fromm's "escape from freedom" by overpartying and dulling the pain that accompanies guilt over irresponsible choices one isn't used to making. In either case, it's a source of drag on what this school could be if we had more of the ethos that here is where community norms require that I hold up my end of the bargain in sustaining a genuine learning community worth its name and its commercial cost. DT

6 comments:

  1. I can't help to feel like we're going in the wrong direction as to how young people prove that they are worthy of the best education. To make an analogy here, the best schools expect the students to juggle 20 balls at the same time. I feel like that is a good analogy to the extracurricular section of young people's resumes. If you want to get into the best schools you better have an extensive extracurricular list. This also comes into play when we discuss grades and the GPA average of 3.2. I feel the GPA is more of a measure of one's work ethic than one's intelligence... Students do need to fail sometimes. At a personal note...at Wartburg I have encountered only a few professors who really strives to challenge students. I think this is sad and I feel ripped off (Without to even mention that I pay for board and room without even using it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. DT,

    I feel as though when I was in high school I was in the same type of situation as your daughter is. In a 8 period-a-day high school, I was taking 10 classes, I worked two jobs, and still found time to be in every play and musical as well as choir, band, and speech. On snow days, I myself didn't know what to do. My teachers tried to keep me reading extra books outside of class and I have a pretty empressive book collection to show for it.

    Personally, coming to Wartburg was a big shock to my system. I could sleep in later, only had class for 3-4 hours a day, worked 10 hours a week and had choir and play rehearsal. This may seem like a lot but I had so many extra hours on my hands that I had no idea what to do with them! Needless to say I cleaned my room a lot.

    In a majority of my classes so far here, I have not been extremely challenged (this being said before this year) but I never really thought anything of it. In high school I wasn't challenged so it wasn't that big of deal to me when I entered the college atmosphere that things were not all that different.

    I do believe that Wartburg could step up its game and require more from its students but also at the same time, you have to look at who is attending and what they're majoring in. If someone wants to do well in their given area, then they must push themselves. We, as students, can't expect everything to do be done for us and need to challenge ourselves to increase our knowledge. As far as it goes, I try to keep up my extra-curricular reading simply as a stress relieaver from all the work I do. Perhaps my fellow collegues in the other fields of study here should do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my point on view, the educational system in the US is based more on how an individual manages time than on what one has achieved. I had 2 labor intensive jobs (yes, the Mensa is very labor intensive and the people who eat there aren't nice most of the time)as a freshman, plus I had to get used to being away from home and family. It was an immense task as I'd never had to read dozens of pages for each class period. The educational system in Nepal is more or less based on the British system, with exams at the end of the year. If you flunk it, you take it again the following year. So, I was pushed to study only for a small amount of time, not saying that this system is very effective. Yet, there was extra time which people usually use for taking part in volunteer activities, and working part-time. Although lives are busier in a different way, we always had time for our families and friends. We'd have time for walks around the city, yet we were learning everyday, with learning focuses more on real-life experiences than an academic. I am in no way criticizing the Us system, just looking into two very different systems. There is no doubt that the US educational system is one of the most advanced in the world, yet I think it provides little to those seeking real life experiences that are offered through the "study-abroad" programs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to Dani and Daniel, I feel that many times, Wartburg is a place in which we as students must take control of our education. If we feel as though we are not being challenged, we need to read more, study more, research more for a paper, etc. It seems that so often students complain about a 20 page term paper they have coming up and they do not do it until the last week (I have been guilty as well) or the night before it is due. In my opinion this is not taking control of your education and students are often not challenging themselves enough.

    Another addendum to the extra-curricular portion, I spoke with many law school admissions personnel who over emphasized the fact that their law school looks at a students holistic value to their school, with leadership involvement and experiences through organizations as a near equal measure to the LSAT and undergraduate GPA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We pay circa $300 for every lecture we receive at Wartburg...I expect more than copying notes from a powerpoint presentation. I guess one can argue why I am complaining since Norway embraces education with the exception of some private universities. However, my intellectual curiosity didn't flourish until it was too late so the competition became too stiff in Norway, but that's a different story. What I want to conclude with is this: if I alone was in charge of my own education, I wouldn't be enrolled in a institution of higher education... We all have to ensure our mortgage payments, right?

    ReplyDelete