Friday, February 10, 2012

Idea for the rest of class

Hello and happy Friday!

I was just thinking of some ways we could take care of the rest of the required writing for our class. Personally, I would prefer a few medium sized papers, rather than one large one. I was thinking we could do them on topics that are of interest to us, for example one paper could cover an event in the past in relation to political science, the next could be a paper covering a current political issue that we are concerned about, and the final one could be any topic as long as it is tied into political science. If each paper was 5-6 pages, everyone would fulfill the requirement as long as they kept track of how many pages they needed from each paper.

I also think it would also be good if we would use class time to give presentations about our findings in the papers and discuss them with the class. This way everyone gets the chance to be listened to in class and teach everyone something.

This idea sounds ideal to me, but it could be combined with other people's ideas. Please let me know what you think as it is just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Melissa

3 comments:

  1. I'm agreeable with this idea as it puts less pressure on the students towards the end of the term.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to write small papers 5-6 pages and get the class requirement done. But my question would be: What can we do to make this class more fun and eye-opening in terms of understanding the politics and different topics? I guess this would lead me to another question … is everyone getting what they wish to get out of this class? What can we do to make everyone comfortable and share their opinion and ideas in class and through obamadogs blog? The reason I pose this question of being comfortable is because I feel sometime that people are not comfortable to say what they really want, or they maybe don’t what to hurt the feeling of others and that’s fine. But, in real world of politics there are no easy ways I guess?

      Also do you also feel that there are some people in class that need to speak less and let other express their opinion? I mean we need to find a balance and understanding here, otherwise we can always have another book and try to fulfill the requirement but I guess I am more interested to get out of this class with more than just book reading and simple discussion?

      Delete
  2. My view is that we write 2-3 small papers of 4-5 pages on topics that are currently selling like hot cake. By so doing, we have the chance to follow up on those stories in the news, expand our knowledge on them and more so, trace back the scholarship of those topics.

    ReplyDelete